When Global Pet Expo debuted in 2005, the Show boasted impressive numbers and set the course for unprecedented growth in the industry. From our humble beginnings a decade ago, Trade Show Executive Magazine now ranks Global Pet Expo as one of the top 100 trade shows in the nation. As we look forward to our 10th anniversary in 2014, we decided to take a look back on some of the most memorable moments that have made Global Pet Expo the standard in pet industry trade show excellence.
- The APPMA Show and PIDA Pets Show were combined and rebranded as Global Pet Expo. It would quickly become the pet industry’s largest annual trade show. During the 2005 Show, there were 66 International Exhibitors, 630 Domestic Exhibitors, 2,049 Booths and 4,365 Pet Product Buyers.
- The first ever “Excellence in Journalism and Outstanding Contributions to the Pet Industry Award ” was given to Dr. Marty Becker and Steve Dale for their lifetime dedication of giving animals and pets a voice in the media.
- Buyer attendance jumped 26%, and Tradeshow Week magazine named Global Pet Expo one of the 50 fastest growing trade shows of the year.
- The 4th Annual Allen Levey Golf Tournament, a popular pre-show event, was held at Torrey Pines just before the golf course hosted the U.S. Open.
- Global Pet Expo outgrew its convention space in San Diego and moved across the country to Orlando, Florida in the Orange County Convention Center. The Orlando convention space is one of the few in the country that is large enough to accommodate the Show’s yearly increasing numbers.
- The Natural Pet Section debuted on the show floor in response to the growing trend of natural, organic and holistic products for pets. In 2013, there were 150 booths in the Natural Pet section, the most ever in this sold out section of the show floor.
- For the first time ever we announced the New Products Showcase “Best in Show” award winners during a special ceremony on the show floor. As the largest showcase of new products at any pet industry trade show, Global Pet Expo receives nearly 1,000 submissions each year.
- The Retailer Excellence Awards debuted at Global Pet Expo and honored deserving independent retailers in a variety of categories.
- For the first time ever, NBC’s Today Show broadcasted live from the Global Pet Expo floor giving a national spotlight to the show itself and the amazing exhibitors at the Show.
The 2013 Global Pet Expo was also the largest Show to date, breaking all previous records with 172 International Exhibitors, 964 Domestic Exhibitors, 2,686 Booths and 5,327 Pet Products Buyers.
As advances continue through technology, products and services, Global Pet Expo remains the leader in annual pet industry trade shows. Join us at Global Pet Expo 2014, March 12-14, at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida for our biggest and best Show yet!